Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sailboat Search

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

In my previous post, I wrote that we’d made it to Florida safe and sound. We stayed in Panama City, Florida.  We went ahead and got a hotel room for the night and began to look at boats that were for sale in the area.  We only found one, a 37 foot Irwin Ketch.  Keith and I went to look at it.  It looked like a really nice boat on the outside…I did not go aboard it to see.  But what I could see from the outside it looked like a really nice boat.  I liked the way it looked and well, Keith really liked the boat, although it had some “soft” spots.  He said that those soft spots wouldn’t really affect the boat or our sailing.  Since this was the only sailboat we found in Panama City, we decided to head south.  We decided on making our home base Sarasota, Florida and look to the north and south for sailboats. 

Since we had bad luck with the state parks and camp grounds we went ahead and decided to get a room with a good week rate.  We found the Sarasota Inn and got it for the week. 

We found the first couple of sailboats to the north in St. Petersburg, Clearwater and Port Richey.  We found a Bombay Clipper, 31 foot, in Port Richey that we thought was a good deal.  Keith thought it would be a good boat for what we wanted to do or sail to.  I thought it was a bit dull…maybe it was the paint and the inside really looked dark and cramped.  I mean you could sit up in the cockpit and look down into the living quarters and see all there was to that boat.  I wasn’t impressed.  We have seen other sailboats….only they aren’t worth mentioning…LOL!

Yesterday we went to Palmetto….a bit north of Sarasota.  We went to see a 30 foot S2 9.2.  I really didn’t have my hopes up.  I thought this one is too small and can’t really meet our needs.  But, you knew there was a but, right?? LOL…But, I was pleasantly surprised…I LIKED this one!! Although it is only a 30 footer, it is a center cockpit and has a V birth and an aft cabin.  Although this one is smaller, it seemed roomier to me!  I really, REALLY liked this one!! I could see us sailing in this boat!  Keith, Maxi and I…and since it has a V birth and an aft cabin….we could accommodate Family or friends!! Yayyyy…

So, now..we are to the uuhh details…money!  Keith is reading up on all we need to do before we purchase it.  Seems we will have to have it surveyed…to make sure there is nothing wrong with it…it also doesn’t have a dinghy…so we will have to purchase one..AND it needs sail covers…sooooooo we need to see how much that will cost…and if we can lower the overall cost of the boat.  Keith is awesome…you all know that, right?? I do!

Follow us…as we continue to make our dreams a reality and find NEW HORIZONS!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger